Master Naturalist Certification Class
The next class will be starting in September 2013..
Once a month from September 2013 to May 2014, Second Wednesday of the month, beginning September 11, 2013
9:00 am – 4:00 pm each day at the Nature Center and other fieldtrip sites…
The Georgia Master Naturalist certified program (sponsored by The University of Georgia’s – Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources) is a hands-on environmental education program that explores habitats and ecosystems in Georgia and human impacts on these environments.
The monthly sessions may explore the following areas (total of over 50 hours):
- Nature Journaling
- Introduction to Ecology
- Canoe study of the Natural History on the Chattahoochee River
- Wetland Ecology
- Water Quality Issues in the Chattahoochee River Watershed
- Georgia Eco-Regions
- Nature Digital Photography
- Plants and Lichens
- Aquatic Macro-Invertebrates (Biological Adopt-Stream)
- Minerals, Rocks and overall Geology of the State of Georgia
- Basic Birding techniques…
- Forestry Ecology & Wildflowers (Thompson Mills Forest, Braselton, Georgia)
- Georgia Barrier Island Ecology
This program is combination of lectures and outside hands-on learning through field studies on the property of the Nature Center and some offsite field experiences and relevant resource materials. After completing this fun and interactive program, the Georgia Master Naturalists are encouraged to share their knowledge with their communities by volunteering in local schools or nature centers.
Past participant comments about the program –
The course has enhanced my understanding and appreciation of the natural world – and raised my level of concern in many respects.
It was a great mix of topics, outside class time balanced with classroom sessions. Field trips were great!
I loved the program. It was really fun to have speakers who were so enthused about their topics. All speakers, info presented was great!
Thank you for providing reference materials which have allowed me to help other people.
Loved how all topics tied into the bigger picture…
This program was – simply stated – excellent – so much that I’d consider doing it again and would certainly highly recommend it!
Supplies: Bring your own lunch, water bottle and coffee mug. Snacks & coffee and tea will be provided.
$450 non-members/$400 members (Pre-registration is required)
*includes the following -
(You will get the first day of class…two books)
- The Nature Principle by Richard Louv
- The Forest Unseen: A Year’s Watch in Nature by David George Haskell
- Session handouts provided by the speakers…
- Canoe Trip on the Chattahoochee River
- Master Naturalist Certificate, Shirt, and Nametag (Georgia Master Naturalist certified program (sponsored by The University of Georgia’s) at the last class…
For more information on this certification program please contact Tom Howick, Director of Education & Master Naturalist Coordinator, at email@example.com or 770-992-2055 x235
Please click here for our Cancellation and Refund Policy