Master Naturalist Certification Class
The next class will be starting in September 2016
Once a month from September 2016 to May 2017, Second Wednesday of the month, beginning September 14, 2016
9:00 am – 4:00 pm each day at the Nature Center and other fieldtrip sites…
The Georgia Master Naturalist certified program (sponsored by The University of Georgia’s Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources) is a hands-on environmental education program that explores habitats and ecosystems in Georgia and human impacts on these environments.
The monthly sessions may explore the following areas (total of over 50 hours):
- Nature Journaling
- Introduction to Ecology
- Watershed & Canoe study of the Natural History on the Chattahoochee River
- Wetland Ecology
- Water Quality Issues in the Chattahoochee River Watershed
- Ecoregions of Georgia (The Natural Community of Georgia)
- Tree ID & Forest Lore
- Mammals & Bats of Georgia
- Snakes of Georgia and Amphibian Monitoring Study
- Minerals, Rocks and overall Geology of the State of Georgia
- Basic Birding techniques…
- Birds of Prey
- Forestry Ecology & Wildflowers (at Thompson Mills Forest Arboretum, Braselton, Georgia)
This program is a combination of lectures and outside hands-on learning through field studies on the property of the Nature Center and some offsite field experiences. Relevant resource materials are given. After completing this fun and interactive program, the Georgia Master Naturalist graduates are encouraged to share their knowledge with their communities by volunteering in local schools or nature centers.
Past participant comments about the program –
This program included a very interesting mix of topics which gave a beginner like me a broad look at Georgia from a Naturalist’s perspective.
It has made me look at nature & the relationships between plants, animals, soil, rocks, water, etc. in a very different way.
It was a great mix of topics, outside class time balanced with classroom sessions. Field trips were great!
This program was – simply stated – excellent – so much that I’d consider doing it again and would certainly highly recommend it!
The Master Naturalist program has given me a broader sense of my place in our ecosystem as well as the myriad ways we impact and are impacted by the natural world around us. I in no way feel that I have mastered any of the material but I do feel much better prepared to direct friends, family and interested parties to the organizations and people who can help address local issues and needs. I also feel more plugged in, more aware of the resources available to further my learning, address local environmental needs/concerns/issues. It has really whetted my appetite for more!
I loved the breadth of the program and the thought that went into creating a curriculum that is a useful introduction to a broad range of topics. The speakers were all very good to wonderful.
I enjoyed learning from the excellent instructors who are experts in their respective fields. The class has really inspired me to increase my knowledge of nature and the great outdoors!
I took the program to enhance my basic understanding of Biology, Botany, Geology, Ornithology and Entomology. These areas are all of interest to me and the program was very valuable to enhancing my understanding. As a result I am more interested in environmentalism, ecology and naturalism. I intend to pursue more knowledge in these areas and hope to provide volunteer work at the Chattahoochee Nature Center or other venues.
Great Program!!! I loved the variety of topics and the speakers were all incredibly knowledgeable & engaging.
The course exceeded my expectations. I can’t think of any significant topic area that was missed.
Supplies: Bring your own lunch, water bottle and coffee mug. Snacks, coffee and tea will be provided.
$545 non-members/$495 members (Pre-registration is required)
To become a member of Chattahoochee Nature Center, please visit http://chattnaturecenter.org/membership/join-renew/
*includes the following –
- Hand Lens and Lanyard
- The Natural Communities of Georgia by Leslie Edwards, Jonathan Ambrose, and L. Katherine KirkmanPhotographs by Hugh and Carol Nourse A landmark reference to the ecological diversity of the state
- The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling by John Muir Laws The ultimate guide to nature drawing and journaling. Ways to use your journal to enhance curiosity, creativity, and sharpen your naturalist’s eye. (Reviews for The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling)
- Nature Trees of Georgia by Georgia Forestry Commission
- Master Naturalist Certificate, Shirt, and Nametag (Georgia Master Naturalist certified program *sponsored by The University of Georgia’s) at the last class…
- Session handouts provided by the speakers…
- Guided Canoe Trip on the Chattahoochee River
For more information on this certification program please contact Tom Howick, Director of Education & Master Naturalist Coordinator, at email@example.com or 770-992-2055 x235
Refund & Cancellation Policy
If a class is cancelled for any reason you will receive a full refund. If you wish to cancel your reservation, please contact our office at least six business days prior to your scheduled program. $20 of your registration fee will be retained by CNC. You will receive confirmation when we receive your cancellation. If you do not receive confirmation within one business day, we have not received your cancellation. No refunds will be given for cancellations made fewer than 6 business days prior to your scheduled program.
Refunds will be paid by check, please allow 4 – 6 weeks.