Travel Program Counselor
Chattahoochee Nature Center
Job Title: Travel Program Counselor
Hours: 40-60 hours per week
Classification: Nonexempt, hourly, seasonal
Reports to: Camp Directors
Every counselor at Camp Kingfisher is hired to:
- lead campers as a positive, caring role model
- provide campers with fun, positive outdoor learning experiences
- help campers grow and learn through challenges
As the primary caregivers for each camper in their group Travel Program Counselors must be safety-conscious, fun, dynamic and able to change plans quickly due to unforeseen circumstances. Travel Program is Camp Kingfisher’s adventure-based program for rising 8th and 9th graders. Lead strenuous day-trips in Georgia and surrounding states, coordinate with vendors, and communicate with parents.
- Lead and supervise adventure trips for campers entering grades 8 and 9. Counselor-led trips include kayaking, canoeing, hiking, biking, service projects, snorkeling, and an offsite overnight. Vendor-led trips include white water rafting, rappelling, mountain biking, and caving
- Build a camper team each session that values kindness, respect, and environmental admiration and repect
- Participate as a member of the travel program staff to deliver and supervise bi-weekly overnights at a Georgia state park
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities and transportation for campers and staff
- Clean camp facilities and equipment as needed/required
- Fill in as counselor or specialist onsite when needed, see counselor job descriptions
- Attend weekly camp staff meetings
- Complete additional duties as assigned
Other Job Duties:
- Contribute to verbal/written evaluations and communication as requested
- Keeping track of and recording hours worked, requesting director’s approval for any additional hours.
- Must be at least 22 years old
- Experience (and passion for) teaching or working with teens
- Previous experience leading adventure day trips preferred
- Confident driver with clean driving record, willingness to operate 15 passenger van
- Strong convictions, maturity, autonomy, and the ability to set high expectations
- Background in environmental education, natural history, education, child care, or camps
- Excellent physical condition necessary to lead adventure trips
- Current lifeguard certification, course provided
- Current First Aid/CPR certification, course provided
- Willingness to work outdoors during the summer season
- Must be able to lift over 20 pounds
- Valid GA driver’s license
- Experience with state of GA/landscape preferred
- Complete and submit the online application
- Email Debby Head, Camp Director, for additional application.
- Obtain 2 references. Email, or mail to the Chattahoochee Nature Center, Attn: Debby Head. Professional references, no family or friend references, please.
Contact: Debby Head, Camp Co-Director, Chattahoochee Nature Center, 9135 Willeo Road, Roswell, GA 30075 phone: 770.992.2055 x232, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of Camp Kingfisher is to connect campers with nature and each other.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com