This listing has expired.
Position Title: Naturalist
Department: Learning and Engagement Department
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt
Reporting to: Naturalist Manager
The Naturalist role leads high-quality environmental educational programs for children and adults in an outdoor setting on weekdays and weekends at the Chattahoochee Nature Center (CNC) as well as out in the community at locations such as schools, libraries, and other facilities. This position helps facilitate CNC’s mission of connecting people with nature in a fun, friendly workplace. This is a part-time, non-exempt position that reports to the Naturalist Manager. Hours range seasonally between 5 – 20 hours per week and naturalists must maintain a minimum availability of 3 days/week and 1 weekend day/month. Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Provide environmental education programs (Pre–K to Adults) for school groups, scouts, birthday parties, and the general public on and off–site
- Lead occasional overnight and evening programs on nocturnal animals for mixed age groups including adults
- Handle non–releasable wildlife used in programs and follow all protocol
- Attend mandatory meetings and trainings
- Support the efforts of all staff and volunteers at CNC
- Participate in all required center–wide activities
- Perform other tasks as assigned by department manager and director
Skills and Qualifications
- College student or college graduate, or equivalent experience
- Experience teaching or working with children in an outdoor setting
- Background in environmental education, natural history, education, or camps
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Willingness to handle non–releasable wildlife
- Current tetanus shot or willingness to obtain one
- Current CPR/1st Aid Certification or willingness to obtain
- Excellent communication skills
- Maturity, dependability, and flexibility
- Proven customer service skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift over 25 lbs.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Naturalist” in the subject line by January 16, 2024. No phone calls please. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.